Everyone has seen news reports of injuries and fatalities in residential fires (with the vast majority of these caused by smoke inhalation, not burns). That’s one reason insurance companies offer discounts on home insurance premiums for homeowners who install smoke detectors in their houses.
However, while we all know the dangers fires pose, you may not know that carbon monoxide is responsible for the deaths of approximately 500 Americans each year and over 20,000 emergency room visits. This gas is the leading cause of accidental poisonings in the U.S. Carbon monoxide is called “the silent killer” because it is not detectable by human senses – it cannot be touched, heard, seen, tasted or smelled. It causes flu-like symptoms to begin with. But often victims of carbon monoxide poisoning become so disoriented from extended exposure, by the time they feel more severe effects, they aren’t able to seek help.
Around the home, vehicles, mowers, chainsaws and natural gas- and petroleum-powered appliances and wood-burning fireplaces produce carbon monoxide. As long as these are properly vented, the gas is harmless. But a faulty furnace, a blocked grill vent, a malfunctioning appliance or a closed chimney flue can quickly fill a home with dangerous levels of the silent killer. That’s why installing carbon monoxide detectors in your home is a good idea.
Different types of carbon monoxide alarms detect the gas through different technologies. But instead of looking for specific features, just make sure that the detectors you choose are approved by the Underwriters Laboratory (UL). As long as they have the UL Mark with the phrase “Single Station Carbon Monoxide Alarm,” you can rely on them to alert you if elevated levels of the deadly substance are noted in the atmosphere.
Carbon monoxide alarms are inexpensive. Having them installed absolutely will not break your budget. And several insurance companies offer discounts to homeowners for installing them – check if your agency does. These alarms are regarded as so useful that 26 states around the nation require their installation in new homes. These states recognize that, because children – especially those under age five – are particularly vulnerable to carbon monoxide poisoning, having monitors in homes can be a literal lifesaver.
So, carbon monoxide detectors are: Reliable. Affordable. And such proven lifesavers that many states require them in new home construction. Considering all those factors, can you afford not to install carbon monoxide detectors in your home?
If you’re ready to get the protection and peace of mind your family deserves, contact Pioneer Heating and Air at (865) 351-0787 or [email protected]. We carry UL-certified carbon monoxide detectors and will be happy to work with you to determine the best type of alarm for your house and the right locations for them in your home.