THE IMPORTANCE OF HVAC MAINTENANCE
THE IMPORTANCE OF HVAC MAINTENANCE
As you read about HVAC maintenance, you’ll learn:
- Why preventative maintenance is important for your HVAC system
- Which maintenance tasks you can do yourself
Your home is supposed to be a sanctuary where you can relax, so you want it to stay at a comfortable temperature regardless of the season. Pioneer Heating & Air is here to help keep your HVAC system operating smoothly, and the best thing you can do on your end is schedule regular preventative maintenance visits.
You may not think you need HVAC maintenance. As long as your unit is running smoothly and you can afford to fix it if it malfunctions, you may try to skip HVAC maintenance appointments to save money. It may save you a small amount of money in the short term, but it is a risky gamble because it will almost always end up costing you in the long run.
Maintenance visits allow technicians to identify minor problems before they become major and start affecting the efficiency of your unit. Minor problems are much more cost-efficient to resolve, so if you can avoid major repairs through regular maintenance, you can save a significant amount of money.
Preventative maintenance also helps extend the lifetime of your unit. If you care for it properly so that it doesn’t have to work as hard to keep your home at a comfortable temperature, your HVAC system may last as long as 20 years. Neglecting to maintain the unit will result in having to replace it more frequently.
Maintenance Tasks You Can Do Yourself
HVAC systems can be complicated, so it is best to leave repairs and most maintenance tasks to the professionals. However, there are a few things you can do to save a little money on the cost of maintenance. Use these three habits to take care of your unit in between maintenance visits.
- Replace air filters: Your air filters fill up quickly, and when they get clogged, it reduces the efficiency of your HVAC system. Air filters should be changed monthly.
- Trim overgrowth and limbs around the outdoor unit: Your HVAC system sits outside of your home, and if branches and overgrown shrubbery are crowding it, it won’t be very effective. Make sure to keep all shrubbery trimmed away from the unit by at least 18 inches.
- Keep the unit clean: Built-up dirt can interfere with the efficiency of your HVAC system. Make sure to clean it with the water hose any time you start to see dirt on it.
Maintenance Tasks You Should Leave to the Pros
Most maintenance tasks need to be left to the professionals because they have the tools and knowledge necessary to do them properly. If you don’t know anything about the system controls, you have no way to know if they are working properly, so you should let a certified HVAC technician check them. It’s also best to call a professional any time you need to tighten the electrical wires, lubricate the parts, or program the thermostat.
Schedule HVAC Maintenance Today
Preventative HVAC maintenance is never something you should put off. When performed regularly, maintenance visits can ensure you get the most for the money you spent on your HVAC system. If you’re ready to get your HVAC system on a maintenance schedule to help it last longer, Pioneer Heating & Air is ready to help. Our shop is located in the heart of Knoxville on Mill Branch Lane near the Maynardville Pike, allowing us to perform HVAC maintenance for any resident or business in the area. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.