As you read about when to clean your air ducts, you’ll learn:
- Signs your air ducts need to be cleaned
- What you should do when it is time to clean your air ducts
Your HVAC unit uses air ducts to distribute hot or cold air throughout your house so that the entire home stays at a comfortable temperature. Part of maintaining your HVAC system involves cleaning your air ducts, but you don’t have to add this task to your yearly spring cleaning checklist. Unless you notice obvious problems with your air ducts, you should have them cleaned every three to five years. Here’s what you need to know if you’ve ever wondered, “how often should I get my air ducts cleaned?”
How to Know When It is Time to Clean Your Air Ducts
Cleaning your air ducts regularly is a great way to improve the air quality in your home. While you should make it a habit to clean your ducts at least every five years, you need to consider more frequent cleaning if you notice any of the following problems.
- Dust: Over time, dirt, dust, pollen, and other impurities build up in your system and cause the air quality inside your home to deteriorate. Routine cleaning can minimize this issue, but if you start to notice little puffs of dust coming out of your vents every time your HVAC system turns on, it’s time to clean your ducts.
- Mold: Air ducts provide the perfect environment for mold and mildew to thrive. If you can see visible mold growing on the sheet metal inside your ductwork, it is time to clean your air ducts, even if it has not been five years since they were last cleaned.
- Pests: No one wants to share their home with rats, mice, or insects, but if you have become the unfortunate victim of an infestation, it is a good idea to clean your air ducts. If the vermin have infiltrated your air ducts and left behind droppings, it could pose serious health problems for you and your family.
How to Clean Your Air Ducts
If you are usually pretty handy around the house, you may be tempted to clean the air ducts yourself. This is not a good idea unless you know how to clean AC ducts. Thorough cleaning requires the right tools and chemicals, so your best bet is to hire a professional HVAC company to do the job. This ensures the project will be completed quickly and efficiently.
Why Cleaning Your Air Ducts is Beneficial
There are two main benefits to cleaning your air ducts. The first advantage is that it improves the air quality of your home. By eliminating the pollutants that often build up in air ducts and are dispersed into various rooms in your house, cleaning your ducts helps you and your family breathe fresh, clean air that will boost your overall health and wellbeing.
The second benefit is that cleaning your air ducts keeps your HVAC system running smoothly. When your air ducts aren’t clean, your HVAC unit will need to work harder to help your home maintain a comfortable temperature. This leads to more energy being used and higher utility bills, so keeping your ductwork clean is an essential step in routine HVAC maintenance.
Pioneer Heating & Air is located in the heart of Knoxville, Tennessee, on Mill Branch Road. Our position near the Maynardville Pike puts us in the perfect spot to provide residents of Knoxville with exceptional HVAC service, including routine air duct cleaning for people who are wondering, “how often should you clean the dryer vent?” If it is time to have your air ducts cleaned, contact us today to schedule an appointment with one of our skilled technicians.
Featured Image: decoplus/Shutterstock